Acne is due to clogging of the pores. Dependint on the type of clogging it may be a white head (open comodone) black head (closed comodone) a pimple when there is collection of dead cells and bacteria inside a pore or a pustule when pus forma or a nodular or cystic acne .
Acne usually occurs in teenagers due to hormonal issues but neonatal (2-4 weeks of age) and infantile acne are also seen. Acne also occurs in males. Acne can worsen Get too little sleep
Eat certain foods
Use oily makeup and skin care products
Apply oily hair care products
Smoking makes acne worsened
Home care tips for acne
1. Wash twice a day and after sweating. Sweating, particularly when wearing a helmet, can make acne worse, so wash your skin as soon as possible after sweating. Use luke warm water and a gentle cleanser which reduce oil to wash
2. Use your fingertips to apply a gentle, non-abrasive cleanser. Using a washcloth, mesh sponge, or anything else can irritate the skin.
3. Be gentle with your skin. Use gentle products, such as those that are alcohol-free. Do not use products that irritate your skin, which may include astringents, toners and exfoliants. Dry, red skin makes acne appear worse.
4. Scrubbing your skin can make acne worse. Avoid the temptation to scrub your skin.
5. Rinse with lukewarm water
6. Shampoo regularly. If you have oily hair, shampoo daily.
7. Let your skin heal naturally. If you pick, pop or squeeze your acne, your skin will take longer to clear and you increase the risk of getting acne scars.
8. Keep your hands off your face. Touching your skin throughout the day can cause flare-up
Why acne should be treated?
Even though acne can be self limiting and lot of home care remedy is available if not properly diagnosed and treated it may lead to scaring and hyper-pigmentation particularly in us due to our skin type.
This may lead to low self esteem and depression particularly during teen and early adult life have a negative impact on their life. As a parent of teen acne should be taken seriously try to reduce their stress and watch for any signs of depression. Take them to a dermatologist and let her discuss her issues. We are ready to help them
Proper treatment will prevent scaring and pigmentation abnormality which is more difficult to treat then acne itself.
How to get rid or acne ?
Meet a qualified dermatologist . I Dr. sujaya sn at surgiderma skin and plastic surgery center in Bangalore will thouroughly asses your skin type and good history is taken. Once your assessment is done and your medical history is evaluated, I may do some investigation to look for hormonal abnoralitis and baseline values as and when required.
A basic skin care protocol is individualized and treatment is started. Awatness and counseling is given to all patients. Healthy diet advice is given
Modalities of treatment available
Simple skin care
Medication topical and oral durgs
Lasers and light theraphy
How to treat scars?
If you feel scars are hampering your career growth or feel acne is social issue or it is a psychological issue we can help you to reduce or get rid of the scar
Various types of treatment include
Gel scar creams and silicon sheet
Fat graft and fillers
Scar revision surgeries
Radio frequency and skin tightening procedures